[blindkid] Fwd: Once a rider, always a rider

trising at sbcglobal.net trising at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 4 19:50:31 UTC 2008

Thanks for the description. It was quite funny. My parents let me drive a
car once in an empty parking lot. I was seventeen. Dad sat right next to me
so he could take the wheel if he needed to. A security guard came up, and
dad helped me steer to a stop. The man said, and I quote, "She can't
practice driving here. Is she even old enough,." He probably thought I was a
child. I was born without optic nerves and without a working pituitary
gland. This makes me very short. Until the guard got to the car, it probably
looked like noone was driving it, since I am not tall enough to see out the
windshield, even if I could. Dad said to the guard, "Yes, she is seventeen.
She is blind and I wanted to give her a chance to see what it was like to
drive." The guard hemmed and hawed, and finally said, "Okay, she can drive
here if she wants to." I was not allowed to practice as a sighted teenager,
but as long as I was blind, it was okay.  What you described with the guy on
the Harley sounds a lot like my real life experience.