[blindkid] Educational toys/games for all ages (Sorry so long)

Patricia Renfranz dblair2525 at msn.com
Thu Dec 11 03:17:00 UTC 2008

>From APH, for a slightly nerdy gift, I would recommend "World Maps." This is
a book of tactile maps of all the continents, regions, and countries of the
world. It's expensive, but we have found it to be an excellent, high-quality
resource, and Caroline has even had fun discovering things about the world
with it.  If your child's school doesn't have one, it should. Here's some
info on it from APH: World Maps are reproduced from original high-quality
works by The Princeton Braillists.... The maps include rivers, mountain
ranges, bodies of water, and other physical features, and country borders
and capital cities. Labeled in braille, the facing pages have key
information in braille and large print.
5-06001-00 -- $78.00

Also, for the preschool or young child, there's a seller on E-bay named
Bjornskov who modifies books, games, toys with Braille to sell at reasonable
prices. We have purchased some of her items over the years with great
success.

Suduko: Caroline  has a puzzle book from National Braille Press (and has
also had to do puzzles for school). She and her dad found that one way to
keep track of possible numbers was to use a gameboard from 4-way countdown;
it has numbered keys, which I had Brailled, that can be flipped up or down.
Then she used APH stick on letters or numbers to mark her final answers.

Happy Hunting,
Pat
dblair2525 at msn.com
801-582-2293