[blindkid] School placement question

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Sun Dec 14 03:09:48 UTC 2008

Hi Stephanie,

I guess you have also visited the classroom in your neighborhood
school that Kendra would be in and felt that you could picture her
there.  I like the idea of the neighborhood school, too.  It seems
that the problem you will be facing is this:  if you succeed in
getting Kendra placed in her neighborhood school, will the district
do what will be necessary for her to succeed?  Might they just do the
minimum and wait for her to fail so that they can prove to you that
she belongs in the school with the resource room?  From their
perspective all the work has already been done and things are all
ready in the other setting.  To them, a decision to place Kendra in
another school will seem unreasonable.  Very difficult indeed.

Carol