[blindkid] School placement question

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Dec 14 21:05:09 UTC 2008

Karen:

I would submit that while your question is a good one, it indicates
confusion between apples and oranges. Anything I say here will be a
generalization and generalizations are always dangerous and, to some
extent, inaccurate. However, at the risk of irritating some with
children with multiple disabilities (and bear in mind that I have such a
child), I would indicate that the purpose of placement of Downs Syndrome
kids and some CP kids in the classroom is for social purposes, or, put
another way, it's an attempt to make such kids feel less "different".
Actually, I question whether use of full-time aides and such really is
effective but that's a debate for another forum.

By contrast, what we are trying to do with blind kids is teach specific
skills, i.e., braille and the use of the long white cane among other
skills. In other words, we are trying to teach literacy and mobility
with the expectation that once these are mastered, blind kids can take
their places in the regular school unles special circumstances obtain.
At least for the first few years, this requires a teacher of the blind
and visually impaired and, one hopes, aides or transcribers who are also
fluent in braille. Yet there aren't enough of these to go around. Also,
although learning braille isn't that hard, it is a specialized and
different skill from learning print and so unless a school district has
funds to burn (and few do these days), it really is more efficient to
set up a resource room somewhere and pull the blind kids out for a
couple periods a day to learn braille and mobility and daily living
skills if the parents aren't on the ball with these (and you'd be
surprised how many are not). Ideally, there would be enough TVI's
(teachers of the visually impaired) and aides that each school with a
blind child could have its own resource room where the child could be
taught blindness skills. But this is seldom the case.

The alternative is for the parents to learn the blindness skills and
help the child succeed in his/her neighborhood school. And you can, of
course, demand that the child be taught in the neighborhood school; that
is your right. But it may be an uphill battle. And I will admit that
setting up one special school in a city for handicapped children isn't
my idea of a workable solution to the problem and I'd almost rather send
my kid to a school for the blind than doto a public school where all the
handicapped kids go. In fact, my child *is* at the Washington State
School for the Blind.

Mike Freeman