[blindkid] When your child realizes she's different....

Kieszak, Stephanie (CDC/CCEHIP/NCEH) sek7 at cdc.gov
Tue Nov 18 16:45:09 UTC 2008

My 6 year old daughter has recently started talking a lot about being
blind and about her "acrylic" eyes, as she refers to her prosthetics.
The other night, she said to me "Mommy, can you get me something so I
can see with my eyes instead of with my hands?"  I felt like someone had
plunged a knife into my heart!  For you parents of older kids, was there
anything you ever said or did that helped when your child seemed to be
feeling sad or angry about being blind?  I tried reminding her of all
the other blind people we know who also don't see things with their eyes
but that didn't seem to help.  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated!
Stephanie