[blindkid] When your child realizes she's different....

trising at sbcglobal.net trising at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 18 19:31:51 UTC 2008

At age six, I was told by a friend who lived down the street that I was
different in no uncertain terms. Different felt to me like inferior by the
way the child said it. I did not ride a big school bus to school. I could
not ride a two wheeler. I did not read with my eyes. I went to school all
day and had six kids in my class while she went half days and had thirty. I
had no idea about these differences until I was told. Like your daughter, I
had a hard time adjusting to the fact that I was different, and that
everyone else did things with their eyes. It would have helped me to have
blind mentors, even at that age. I am glad I found the NFB as an adult.
Could someone in your local chapter do something fun with  you and your
daughter? Might someone correspond with her in Braille? Might you see what
particular things are upsetting her about being blind, and help her to find
out what alternative methods she can use to accomplish the same goals? These
are just some ideas, and I hope they help.