[blindkid] Identify yourself please

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Fri Nov 21 17:21:56 UTC 2008

I think some of it may be personality.  I don't like to ask everyone who
says hi to me who they are.  In fact, sometimes if I'm out with my husband
and we meet someone who knows us I'll ask who it was when we walk away.
I've got one man at church who thinks it's funny to talk in a different
voice--just makes it lower than his own--because he must think he's funny.
I just say hi back to him in a lower voice than my own.  In fact, if I get
to say hi first, I'll still do it.
I used to have a friend who would ask everyone she spoke to what their name
was.  One Sunday when she came to visit me, she insisted that the whole room
of 25 to 30 people tell their names.  (I wanted to fall through the floor
with embarrassment.)
Mainly, if someone says hi to me, and I don't recognize their voice, I just
pretend like I know them and figure out who they are by the kinds of things
that come up in conversation.  Did I say I'm shy around folks I don't know
well?
That's just my two-cents worth.
Barbara