[blindkid] non-public school

Stacy Lemmon slemmonrn at spotlight-music.com
Thu Nov 27 18:33:00 UTC 2008

Happy Thanksgiving All!

We have made some progress with trying to have services provided for our daughter at a non-public school. Adison is not blind, but has low vision (aniridia, nystagmus).  We have been informed we can enroll her at the private and public school, however, TVI services must be provided at the public school setting. I am okay with taking her there twice weekly...it's literally 3 blocks down the street.  However, I questioned classroom accommodations, enlarging, etc? She just looked at me like a deer in the headlights and said "Its free and appropriate public education." I was thinking 'and... you don't really know the answer do you?'.   This was after an inservice, so it wasn't the appropriate setting to push for further information. The private school has made it clear they welcome any and all vision services in the school, classroom, etc. but can not fund it. This I understand. I posted months ago about our issues there. I had been told they may not be able to accommodate her there. Once we met, and the kindergarten teachers met Adison, everyone was on board to help us.

Any insight, wisdom or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Stacy