[blindkid] Seeking advice: blind daughter intentionally excluded from birthday party

melissa R. Green graduate56 at juno.com
Wed Oct 29 06:30:53 UTC 2008

Grace.
I feel for your daughter.  Even if she doesn't know that she was excluded.
However, she heard you and the other mom talking about it.
As a blind kid I was excluded a lot from parties.  Hardly any of my classmates
would show up to mine either.
I overheard a lot of them saying that it was because of my blindness.  They
didn't know what kind of gift to get me either.  That was a problem that they
came up with.  It hurts a lot.  I can remember being on my front porch and other
kids playing and then being called in to a party.  Then there would be noone
left but me and the girl that had some cognitive disabilities.  Now if the other
mother chooses not to go to the party.
That is her choice, and it is admirable.  You can't control what she chooses to
do.  Just tell her you appreciate the gesture.
I agree  send a gift to school.
Regards,
Sincerely,
Melissa R. Green
Nobody said life would be easy.
They just promised it would be worth it.