[blindkid] IEPs

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Tue Apr 7 00:10:41 UTC 2009

Well, then, here are some thoughts for helping him make progress.

For reading:

It's important to determine the reason for his difficulty with
reading comprehension.
    * learning disability?
    * needs to read more?
    * needs better reading instruction?
    * needs to learn how to read faster?
    * needs more braille instruction?
    * needs more braille practice?
    * needs better braille instruction?
For math:

Determine why he is below grade level
    * learning disability?
    * difficulty understanding the math concepts themselves?
    * needs better math instruction?
    * needs more practice?
    * does he know how to READ the math?
    * does he know how to WRITE the math?
    * needs more braille instruction?
    * needs more braille practice?
    * needs better braille practice?
Once you untangle the strands of where the difficulty is coming from,
it'll be much easier to create a plan to help him make
progress.  BTW, you sound like a great dad who is determined to do
the job right.

Carol