[blindkid] IEPs

SUSAN POLANSKY sepolansky at verizon.net
Tue Apr 7 03:21:26 UTC 2009

EJ

I have listed some sample goals and objectives from my son's IEP. His is done in November so most of this started in 3rd grade and continued into the first few months of fouth grade. This is not the entire IEP. Our IEP's have always included academic goals and what is needed  to achieve them, also O&M goals, technology goals,  goals related to social skills, and goals to increase indepedence in all area.  I also included the equipment he had in fourth grade and the service hours he received.

Equipment: Electronic Braille note taker, Braille Writer, talking calculator, talking dictionary, JAWS screen reader, printer, Braille Embosser
Accommodations: adjusted workload [we rarely used this except for math], alternative media, extra time [again not used much except for math], modified materials, modified schedule [so he could be pulled out for time with the TVI when needed], preferential seating [used so he could sit where there was room for his supply cart to be within easy reach for him and where his IA could sit close by if needed], staff training

Services: TVI = 10hrs/week, O&M = 1 1/2hrs/week, instructional assistant 32 1/2hrs/week, OT to consult as needed

Goal: will learn new procedures for his technical equipment and be able to demonstrate
Objectives: use spell check on note taker, use spell check using JAWS on a standard computer, use the print command to print documents, correctly use the numeric keypad and arrow keys, etc

O&M
Goal O&M: Will cross a variety of familiar residential and business streets to access designated destinations
Objectives: use physical landmarks and traffic sounds to establish his alignment for street crossing independently 9 out of 10 trials, identify correct time to initiate a street crossing at a traffic light controlled intersection and complete the crossing with adult supervision at distances less than 10 feet, will recover from veers toward and away from the parallel street when crossing both stop sign and traffics light controlled intersections, etc
Goal:  [these were to be prepared to move to a new school the next school year and were written to get him familiar with the new building, he had the buliding he was in down pat ] will locate the entrance and exit doors of the building from 3 distinct starting points, will travel between classes/the restroom/the cafeteria/ and the gym and locate a designated destination
Goal: will increase independence in the cafeteria, will manage food and other lunch related items in the cafeteria
Objective: will independently carry his lunch tray, will ask the servers what is available and inform them of  his lunch choices ,will place his tray on the table without spilling food, will find the trash can / properly dispose of his trash and place his tray in the appropriate location, will exit to the playground independently, etc

Social
Goal: will demonstrate appropriate social skills in the school environment
Objective: will be able to name every student who is sitting in his grouping in the classroom, will call students in small group setting by name when he wants that persons attention, will know who is at his lunch table, will turn to face the person with whom he is conversing, will initiate conversation with at least 2 classmates daily at lunc and/or recess, will place his cane where he can easily access it,

Academic
Goal: Will demonstrate knowledge of the Nemeth Code and its functions as is appropriate for a ______ grader
Objective: will write in proper Nemeth format [what ever the curriculum states will be learned in his math grade and level

Goal: will independently prepare for class when arriving at the instructional site [my son had a problem with not being ready  for class to start so for him this was important]
Objective: will ask a peer or appropriate adult what the class is doing, will without prompts put paper in brailler and braille his name and date to be ready for class to begin, will do the same when using a braille note taker, when the teacher indicates what page to open a book to - will open book to the corresponding braille page

Goal: will improve skimming and scanning reading habits
Objective: when finding a page or receiving a paper will skim the page to see how many paragraphs or numbered items there are on a page, when there are charts/graphs/or other tactile displays will locate it and skim the display before beginning to work,

Goal: will improve proof reading skills
Other academic goals specific to my son and the curriculum

For the IA
Will be trained in specific vision related tasks
Will supervise organizational tasks
Will not pack or unpack the book bag
Will monitor for safety in traveling the school envioroment with distant supervision [our son did not walk in line with the other students to go from place to place in the school, he went ahead of the others for O&M reinforcement so the IA was required by the school to keep him in sight]
Will not "hover" in the classroomm, cafeteria or the playground
Will make tactile graphics as needed
Will reinforce social skill goals and objectives
Will accompany  him on O&M lessons and reinforce O&M skills on a daily basis
Will read material from the board or overhead if Brailled copy is not available
Will carry out directives from the TVI
Will consult daily with the TVI
Will  not foster dependency

 Susan