[blindkid] Baseball question

lindashalm at aol.com lindashalm at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 15:16:39 UTC 2009

You don't say how old your son is. However, from my experience, if he's been playing ball in Little League or for a school team, I'm not sure there is any safe way to keep playing.  Some of those pitchers have enormous speed and get stronger every year.

Goalball is a blind sport.  There were some references to it earlier this week on this list.  It is a real competitive game for blind athletes.  Not every state has a team but you can search it out on the website  www.usaba.org.  Players have all degrees of visual impairment, but they wear blacked-out googles anyway, so everyone plays totally blind.  You have to see a game to appreciate how cool it is.  The woman's team from the US took the gold medal at the Paralympics in China in 2008.
I know it's no substitute for the baseball exactly, but it's really worth a look for an athletic kid.

Linda, NJ