[blindkid] Dreams really do come true!

Kim Cunningham kim at gulfimagesphoto.com
Fri Apr 17 12:20:24 UTC 2009

Good morning all,
I would like to share with you all about what can happen if you chase your dreams. When my daughter was little, around 3 yrs. old, we took her to Disneyworld in Florida. I was young with the knowledge of how to parent her. My life was more consumed with fear of the unknown. How would she do this, what will happen if she does that, and on and on. While at Disney, I saw a group of high school aged kids running off to get on a rollercoaster. Amid this group of kids, I saw a young lady with a cane, just as eager and joyful as her classmates. No one was holding her hand. No adult was supervising her. She was just being a typical teenager with a cane. It was a "light bulb moment" for me. I couldn't contain my smile. It was right then and there that I decided what I wanted for my daughter. If this young lady can do it, so can my sweet child. This unknown young lady will never know the impact she made on our lives. Once my goal was set firmly in mind, I had a
 sense of direction of where to go from there. One moment with such a powerful impact.
As I write this morning, I'm happy to say that we have come full circle. My 17 yr. old daughter has traveled to Disney with her school choir. They will be spending the next 4 days traveling the same path as our unknown friend we saw when she was young. My dream came true! None of our successes came easily. It was hard work, but our payoff has been great. I usually volunteer and chaparone during school functions (I am a stay-at-home mom), but my daughter informed me that she DID NOT want me to chaparone this trip. She wanted to hang with her friends and felt confident in her training. I did it - I really did it!
I wish all the parents of young blind children the same life experience. Set you goals high and don't let anyone stand in your way. If your goals are to feel sorry for your child or to believe your child "can't" or "won't", then there will be no expectations to fulfill.

Regards,
One Happy Mom - Kim Cunningham