[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 60, Issue 14

Leslie Ligon atfirstsight at ligondesign.com
Fri Apr 17 14:57:26 UTC 2009

Dear Heather,

I read your reply to Marie regarding a can for her son. I just have to say...

I couldn't have said it any better!

The reasons you stated for early cane use are some of the reasons I'm
going to begin the o & m certification program at Stephen F. Austin
in Texas this summer.

With an extensive background dancing and teaching ballet, teaching a
young man who's blind how to move through space was never the
daunting part of living on the "planet of the blind." I felt
completely comfortable letting my son (12 next week!) know how to
travel safely and look for things around him. Every day in those
early childhood days was another adventure in travel and opportunity.
In the local malls, parks, and our own neighborhood.

When he was beginning walking at about 15 months, we were also
advised to make him a pre-cane. It was fine and he did, in fact, use
it just fine in those arenas. The week before his second birthday,
the cane I'd ordered (without asking) for him arrived. Together, we
pulled the cane (which I will always keep) out of the box. I'd
ordered the shortest one with a smaller roller tip because it looked
like it wouldn't get stuck in sidewalk cracks. Not knowing anything
about proper cane technique, I was so excited. I wasn't really sure
if this might not be another somewhat difficult emotional hurtle
since it is such a clear visual message that a person is blind. (When
strangers at the mall saw us with a pre-cane, they'd take second
looks at us as if to say, "Is he...and I'd say over my shoulder as we
passed, "Yes, he's blind.)

But when my son and I got to the sidewalk in front of our house with
his new cane, I told him, Okay, now tap, tap, tap, and roll, roll,
roll!,"  and he just trotted along the sidewalk, finding the crisp,
clear edge, where the grass butts against the cement, and went all on
his own to the other side off the house next to ours without me by
his side. I knew then, like I knew he understood at 18 months that
raised dots on a page are how you're supposed to read, that this cane
would be what he used when you go for a walk.

We've been pretty lucky in our lives to have had some caring o & m
teachers (COMS), but Heather, as you told Marie, even those with the
best intentions will sometimes espouse fairly unfounded ideas, cane
height being just the first of a long list. I think a lot of the
training has to do with most sighted COMS providing instruction with
safety as their underlying theme. Yes, of course, teach the need for
safety, but when you teach dance, you don't teach kids how to do
everything perfectly before trying to fly through the air in a grande
jette, you just tell them a few basics, then encourage leaping.
Therefore, I hope to approach teaching as a COMS the same way for
kids who are blind or v.i. Maybe I'm wrong, but my gut tells me I'm
on the right track. No, you should't do leaps and turns in unsafe
areas, but oh, yes, you should do them!

So, here I go back to school to learn and digest, all the while
knowing in most every muscle, a great deal of what is important in
becoming a great o & m teacher. I hope I'll make my son, and others
like you and Joe Cutter, proud, and eager to hear what I have to say
about teaching people who are blind or v.i. to "Come to The Edge."

Thank you for your wise words. They're right for Marie's situation
and just what I needed to hear this morning as I avoid working,
trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to be away from my family
for six weeks this summer as I do my blindfold work.

Come to the edge
But we'll fall.
Come to the edge.
Bight you might push us.