[blindkid] O&M family tips

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sat Aug 15 06:58:10 UTC 2009

Hi Carol and list:

I just got done reading Chapter 2 oof "Making It Work: Educjting the
Blind/Visually Impaired Student In The Regular School Setting, and I'm in
the section discussing O&M, (orientation & mobility.)  I have a few do's
and don't's for all you parents.

Just as a B/VI teacher needs to show positive reinforcement when your
child is using his/her cane properly, so should you.  Come on!  It works.

Praise your child, and re-ward him/her after each lesson.  Do not use
negative feedback whenever he/she does something wrong; instead, correct
him/her when he/she makes a mistake.

(This one's an "absolute" no-no:)  Nover, ever, tell your child what
his/her cane is hitting.  This breaks their concentration, and causes
confusion.

And, finally, (going back to the paragraph on fire drills:

Believe it or notboth fire and earthquake drills are very important; if
your family needs to escape, because of an emergency, cane must be in hand,
period; cane must be out, period.

Eric

Eric from Los Angeles.  What does it mean to play sportsmanlike?  It
means playing with respect, with determination, with enthusiasm.  What does
it mean to play with unsportsmanlike conduct?  It means being insubordinate
to your coaches, manager, other teammates, and fans.  It means arguing,
using vulgar language, or doing things unbecoming of a team player.  Please
play with sportsmanlike conduct, and try to be good to each other!