[blindkid] Those producing braille who don't even read braille

Valerie Perry vpbraille at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 01:10:57 UTC 2009

Hello everyone!

I am SOOOO glad to find this list! I have a lot of reading to catch up on in
the archives list. I know there is a listserve  for college students and my
daughter is on it (Freshman). I was wonder from parents if they have seen a
trend of those producing the textbooks, syllabus, tests etc. in Braille at
the college level (other than community college), who can't even read a page
number? It seems to be acceptable practice. I am wondering if the students
are preferring to use the doc files for Jaws and braillenotes because the
Braille being produced is not effective. It seems to me a certified Braille
transcriber should be on staff at these "Alternative Media Centers". More
ideally if publishers had a transcribing unit that put out the Braille
electronic file of the textbooks at the same time as the print! J

Thanks

 Valerie