[blindkid] Vision Support, Help Needed

Stacy Lemmon slemmonrn at spotlight-music.com
Fri Dec 11 20:17:19 UTC 2009

Hi all! I am seeking your input once again. Adison, 6, has taken to crying and out and out refusing to go to vision support after school twice weekly.  Away I drag her in to the school. Recap: she is enrolled in a private school and I must take her to the public school to receive services. Problem: it's the same thing over and over. She Brailles the alphabet and her name, reads the alphabet in Braille and then does some time on Talking Typing Tutor (learning keyboarding skills). It is mundane to me and I'm the parent, I can only imagine what it is like for her! I know there are goals to be met and we fought for Braille education.  She is doing well.

Is there an additional way to support these goals? Games? Flashcards? Something to make it a little more fun for a child her age?  Kids learn through play, is there anything we can incorporate? I'm not even sure how to go about bringing this up with her TVI. She is clearly invested in Adison, but always does as little as possible and I have to keep after things to make sure it's getting done ie supplies, quarterly reports.

Thank you!
Stacy