[blindkid] Vision Support, Help Needed

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Sun Dec 13 14:14:52 UTC 2009

There are a couple of books that may be helpful, too--Guidelines and
Games for Efficient Braille Reading (an oldie but goodie) and
Beginning with Braille (both AFB Press) and the Bridge to Braille (NFB).

Where is Adison in her reading instruction in general?  Is she in a
reading group or class at the private school?  Could the lessons with
the Braille teacher use materials from the reading class?  Perhaps
the teacher could try experience stories, where Adison tells about an
experience that she had and the braille teacher brailles it out for
her; then they "read" it together--that could be more engaging for her.

When you bring the issue us, perhaps you could tell the teacher that
you're wondering if Adison is ready for a different set of activities
or for more challenge.  Maybe you could ask the teacher to share with
you what is next in the braille curriculum.  Hopefully you can get
the teacher involved in crafting a solution.

Good luck,
Carol

Carol Castellano, President
973-377-0976