[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 68, Issue 14

Leslie Ligon atfirstsight at ligondesign.com
Tue Dec 15 20:39:41 UTC 2009

> ------------------------------
> Kim,

I know there's a way for Kayleigh to be taught - and fairly well - as
a former dancer and ballet teacher, I teach Ethan steps to choir and
theater productions whenever there's no one else who will.

Perhaps, instead of the young woman who's dancing and choreographing,
there's another student who'd be excited to have the chance to work
with your daughter, teaching her the steps/blocking she's not
comprehending in rehearsals. (I wish I were where you are; I'd be so
happy to!)

It will take someone who's not afraid of body parts, though. I'm not
shy at all about that. But in the public school arena, you're up
against teachers who are legally prohibited from touching students.
(I used to sub  for a ballet teacher in the local arts magnet h.s.
and I was told not to touch the students! Also, the students are
going to be at different stages of comfort, so while some may be fine
with telling Kayleigh to hold their hips/knees, shoulders while they
first move through a portion of a combination, otherers will be remiss.

Luckily, she wants to learn, and the one person has told you Kayleigh
won't be pulled as a "bad dancer" just because she can't see as well
to emulate the others. Your biggest hurdle is frustration of knowing
Kayleigh is able and willing.

So, step back and see if Kayleigh could find strength to ask at the
beginning of rehearsal one night. We often remind Ethan, who's almost
13, that the more he can handle things with blatant humor, the more
quickly others are likely to include him in the reindeer games!

Kayleigh and you are also welcome to call or write me to ask very
specific questions if either of you would like to.

No, regarding presents for teachers:

May I be so bold as to suggest ;-) ...

Sincere best,
Leslie
atfirstsight at ligondesign.com
214 675-4061

At First Sight
The original braille fashion jewelry!
http://www.braillestone.com

BrailleInk.
Beautifully designed braille/print books for children.
http://www.brailleink.org