[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 57, Issue 33 Subject: Has this happened to anyone?

J DREICER j_griego1321 at msn.com
Mon Feb 2 03:07:11 UTC 2009

Bonnie,
Could the VI or O and M teacher talk to the PE teacher?
Ask the PE teacher if there are student assistants in the class - often they are older students who run errands for the teacher or help with activities, perhaps they could run with Aubrie.
Ask the PE teacher if he/she could identify a few students in the class who may be willing to guide Aubrie during the run. The PE teacher could approach these students before/after class.
Does Aubrie run with a guide or does she run on her own? If she uses a guide can this person go to the class to demonstrate?
re: Aubrie's self advocacy. It sounds to me as if she was speaking up - she asked other students to guide her during this activity. I thought this was pretty mature.
Hopefully once Aubrie shows the others how capable she is they will not immediately assume that she may "slow them down"!
Janet