[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 57, Issue 33 Subject: Has this happened to anyone?

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:12:42 UTC 2009

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions regarding Aubrie's PE
experience. I'd like to let you know just what I did.
I e-mailed the teacher and sent the link to an article published in Future
Reflections regarding ideas for sports and recreation for blind people. I
explained what happened and encouraged her to call and talk. She did and we
had a good conversation. Of course, she couldn't say enough about how awsome
Aubrie is. I tried to explain that she is no more awsome than the other
children in the class who are fast runners. She also mentioned that she has
30 students in the class and did not mention having an assistant. She also
mentioned that she had asked a girl in the class to be Aubrie's partner for
activities but she didn't see this girl interacting with Aubrie very often.
She does not feel that she could make someone go with her either. I
suggested that she inform Aubrie ahead of time that they were going to do
something for which she might like a partner, and then Aubrie could begin
asking people a head of time. I still think she just needs to ask someone to
go with her and let Aubrie demonstrate to that person that she will not be a
burden.
She was also interested in the article and had printed it off to read. We'll
see how things go. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Bonnie----- Original Message -----