[blindkid] Looking for Employment Statistics that are not based on1994-95 AFB Stats

Michael Bullis mabullis at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 22:51:38 UTC 2009

Well, specifically related to legally blind people, I can't quite get you to
this century but I can get you to May of 1999 with the attached study.  It
has some very revealing data about which blind people are employed, their
health conditions and education.
As far as the over all percentages, not much has changed.  Certainly the
numbers have though.  The AFB's numbers showing 1.3 million blind people in
1994 are certainly low.  They were based on a much lower US population.  Now
the number of blind people is over 1.5 million.  I always like to point out
though that if you really take a hard look at how the percentages are
arrived at, they're somewhat suspect.

Now, if you want current data there is one more place to go.  Cornell
University collects data on all disabilities.  They combine census data with
Health survey data and Community survey data.  They even update information
to 2007.  The problem is that they don't always have blindness related data
the way you might find it most useful.  The questions they ask in order to
determine vision loss don't always just include those who are legally blind.
On the other hand, the data is useful and you can even focus it on your own
State.  So, I attach the AFB Report and include the cornell website.  Have a
good time.
If you have any questions, and if you're at all analytical, you probably
will, feel free to contact me off list.
www.ilr.cornell.edu/edi/DisabilityStatistics
Mike Bullis