[blindkid] RFB&D fundraising

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Mon Feb 16 03:57:12 UTC 2009

Hi there, Michele,

It's very interesting to hear the real story of Cooper--an
articulate, excellent braille reader!  I am delighted to hear it, but
who would have guessed it from the RFB&D fund-raising story?  Someone
along the line must have realized the value of braille and actual
reading for literacy and education and must have pursued it with
Cooper after third grade, luckily for him.

I hope you do not think that I was "tearing down" Cooper.  That would
have seriously missed my point.  As others have already said, the
problem was with the way RFB&D chose to fundraise--by tearing down
braille!  Not good!!!!!  If you thought I was tearing down RFB&D's
approach, that would be closer to the truth.  You can rest assured
that I do indeed think before I respond--there are many examples over
the years of problems with RFB&D's approach to the service they
provide, and I have been mulling this over for quite awhile.  In
fact, this is the first time I have said anything about it publicly.

Last but not least, sometimes others have to be called on what they
are doing.  It's what we must do as an advocacy organization.  We
work together with other organizations when we can, but I have found
that we are not always on the same road leading to the same
destination or  "common good."  So I feel we must speak out when it
is necessary.

Carol