[blindkid] Blind/Autistic child school placement/services

Rene Harrell rjharrell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 23:57:45 UTC 2009

Hi Debi---

Barbara definitely has good advice. Sign Language or some sort of
augmentative communication device (and there are quite a few, many with
auditory feedback systems) can also be extremely helpful if he is showing
you any desire to communicate.

 We began small and worked our way up. In the beginning our key was to get
her to make sound that was communicating an intent, and we incorporated that
into our Floortime model of play (here is the link to the website overview
http://www.icdl.com/dirFloortime/overview/index.shtml I cannot rave enough
about the Floortime model when it comes to communicative and social skills
building in young children with autism. Dr. Greenspan's research is
impeccable and we have personally seen excellent progress using the
Floortime with Clare and with our sighted son with autism). The key was
finding ways that we could engage Clare, and then building verbal
opportunities and expectations into that time.

For example, Clare *loved* (and still does love) vestibular input. One of
her absolute favorite things when she was younger was to be tossed high up
in the air, over and over. So, she would come over and tug on my shirt,  and
I would say "Clare wants UP! Clare wants UP!" This was very dramatic with
the emphasis on the word UP. After I was certain that she could understand
and associate the word UP with the activity of being tossed in the air, then
I moved to the next phase. "Clare wants UP! Clare say UP!" When I didn't get
anything but her tugging on my shirt because she knew what she wanted I
would get down to her level. "Clare say UP!" and then I would prompt more
"UH-UH-UH". The instant she made so much as a grunt or an "Uh" sound I would
very dramatically exclaim "Oh, CLARE WANTS UP!" and then I'd toss her up.
Eventually we got the full word "UP!" when prompted. It was the very first
word she ever said to us. :-)

>From there we moved on to other *highly* motivating scenarios. I cannot
stress enough that it really needs to be things that are very motivating to
an individual child. *Every* child has something that is motivating, though
sometimes we need to dig deeper and really look hard to find out what that
is, and sometimes it is really obvious. An obvious one for Clare was food.
She is skinny as a rail but she loves to eat and one of her favorite foods
of all time is chips. I'd make sure she understood the association of the
word "chip" with the chips she was eating first. Clare's way of indicating
she was hungry and wanted food was always to just sit at the kitchen table.
So, I would narrate first, in very dramatic tones. "Clare wants to eat! I
have CHIPS for Clare." And then we moved onto prompting her to say
"CHIPS"....and again in the beginning if I got so much as a grunt that I
could associate with wanting the chips as an intentional desire, it was
"Clare asked for CHIPS! Here are some CHIPS Clare!". As she caught on I
started expecting more of an attempt at the actual word "CHIPS" and
eventually she figured out she got CHIPS and then she was sitting at my
kitchen table 500 times a day saying "CHIPS!"

It was a lot of work to get the first five words. After that she started
getting really echolalic and she was just repeating, repeating, repeating so
words weren't necessarily a problem but meaningful language was. I'd say 90%
of her language was simple repeating and the rest was actually meaningful
words. And as she started getting more meaningful words we were able to up
the bar of verbal expectations into 2 word and 3 word phrases and on to
sentences. She is always expected to use her words, always always. Her first
inclination is still to not use language as her primary communication tool
if the situation is not motivating to her. We finally habit trained her to
use the bathroom last Christmas, amd even a year later she has excellent
control but she will never tell you she has to go the bathroom, she relies
on me to recognize her cues and to prompt her. She will however walk right
up to the kitchen table 20 times a day and say "I'm hungry. I need something
to eat. I want a cookie." Silly girl. It's still constantly model, model,
model to lay the groundwork for true comprehension, and then prompt, prompt,
prompt, prompt to get her to use it. Progress is slow but she is definitely
making progress and her receptive and expressive skills continue to improve,
which is a real encouragement.

Does your grandson interact at all with adults around him? How does he
currently signal his needs and wants? What kind of activities does he like
to engage himself in the most? What is motivating to him? Sound? Tactile
input? Oral input?

Rene