[blindkid] can I get the other side?

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 03:58:49 UTC 2009

Dear Leah,
I have not reviewed the court case. No time! But I did work at an NFB based
training center for five years. So I am just giving you my personal thoughts
from that experience.

A college or school can pick its curriculum. Guide dog schools teach guided
travel with dogs. The Iowa Department teaches cane travel. They each have a
right to make their curriculum.

This is not to say WHY the NFB based centers feel this way. In a nutshell.
The best guide dog users are EXCELLENT cane travelers as well. You can get
along using a cane only with out knowing how to use a guide dog, but you can
not get along so well using a dog and not knowing how to use a cane or the
self orienting skills that go with it.

So you can learn cane at the NFB based centers and then if you want a dog
too there are several schools for that in the country.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc