[blindkid] braille?

Kasondra Payne kassyp36 at msn.com
Wed Feb 25 05:10:01 UTC 2009

Carrie,

I am so glad you mentioned parents learning Braille as well as the blind child.  I am one of the few blind children in the 1980s who was taught Braille, on my parents insistance.  My mother learned only a few Braille letters, so she could recognize my name.  My father didn't learn Braille at all, but he could fix my brailler.  My sighted husband promised to learn Braille when we got married.  He got really pushed into it when our son Andrew was born.  He was blind, and Shawn realized that he needed to learn Braille in order to teach him.  He has learned uncontracted Braille, and he knows some contractions.  Nw that Andrew is in kindergarten, Shawn can practice as he reads what Andrew brings home from school--that is in addition to the many books we have around here.  He can also practice writing using either a slate or a brailler.

I wished my parents had learned Braille, but I am thankful they were so supportive of me.  I am so glad my mother told the rest of the IEP team that I would learn Braille.  That was years before the amendments that Carrie mentioned.  I am also thankful that my husband Shawn shares my zeal for Braille, and he has worked to learn it himself.

Kasondra Payne