[blindkid] parents need to learn braille too

EJ Buhrke ej_buhrke at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:55:38 UTC 2009

I am often asked if I know Braille. My son is 9 and I have to say that I've just learned things along with him although as Joe admitted, I too have been surpassed by my son a few years ago.  I always answer people enthusiatically that I know enough Braille to be able to read notes he may pass back and forth with a girlfriend someday. :)  I am very lucky that Braille is the only way he will ever read as he is totally blind and so we have been lucky in getting TVIs along the way who know a little something about Braille. This year was a different story, but I digress.  As a single parent I strive to learn as much with my son as I can and to advocate strongly in all areas of his life. Some things I do well and others I need improvement.  There are even days I do well and others I don't.  I just have a faith that tells me God will pick up where I lack as long as I just do my best in that exact moment.  Again we are blessed to be able to live in an area that allows some very good schools and he is mainstreamed in them.  Some days are easier than others.  I just had to right a note today after I learned Isaiah had to wait on the bus when he arrived at school yesterday because there was no teacher to get him off. I was taken aback.  He gets off at home by himself, gets himself to the house and into the house by himself and gets his coat/shoes/backpack off and hung up without any assistance from me. I had to share with them how surprised I was at the lack of those same expectations of him at school. And I guess my surprise came out of what a good job everyone does on the team that is involved in educating my son and the fact I thought we had gotten beyond things like this.  It only goes to show that we always have to stay on top of things and informed about everything.  Sometimes that is a full-time job in itself.  This list is a great encouragement in having to get up everyday and fight the fight.  Thanks everyone!

EJ