[blindkid] Two practical books

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Sun Jan 11 19:53:19 UTC 2009

Happy New Year!  Eric Calhoun, wanting to let you know about 2 books.  The
first is by blindkid moderator Carol Castelllano, entitled, Making It Work:
 Educating the Blind&Visually Impaired Student in the Regular Classroom,
Br17492, in 3 volumes.  This is a practical guide that offers techniques
for making the public-school experiencesuccessful for blind and visually
impaired children, and covers skills, toolsand principles for constructing
an effective programin the classroom.  Congratulations!

The second and last book is Independent MovementAnd Travel in Blind
Children: a Promotion Model, code BR17388, by Joe Cutter. This book is in 2
braille volumes, and Joseph advocates a team approachto creating a positive
learning environment that fosters mobility and self-reliance in blind
children, (sounds like me when I was young!), discusses the philosophy of
cane travel,including the appropriate time to begin cane teaching and its
use, and ways to encourage the development of cane travel skills for home,
school,and community.

Any thoughts please?

(Carol was mentioned in the November-December issue of Braille Book
Review, from the Library of Congress, Ational Library Service for the Blind
and Physically Handicapped.)

Eric from Los Angeles:

Do something positive in 2009.  Know when someone is hurting, and give
them hope; know when someone is helpless, and give them help.  Be loving,
be caring, be sharing.

And,

Happy New Year!!!!