[blindkid] People Braille

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 20:58:06 UTC 2009

Greetings!

I came up with this as a new way for my Saturday School kids to have fun
with Braille. Not all of my ingenious ideas stick (c'mon!-smile)-hope this
one will. Try it with your kids, families and their friends at your seminars
or Saturday schools, at your teen nights and student meetings or chapter
meetings, with your students in school and to sighted classmates, post it on
www.braille.org <http://www.braille.org/> .

People Braille

You will need: a minimum of six people (for each cell)

A minimum of six frozen pizza cardboard circles (or cut out your own)

Tape the circles with double sided carpet tape or good old duct tape to the
floor about 12 inches apart in the shape of a Braille cell

Each person represents a dot. For a "round" or game someone would be dot one
always and someone dot two, etc.

For the Braille novice or learner do the alphabet

For those with grade II knowledge and depending on the size of the group
take it up a notch to contractions

The leader would call out "letter A" and of course only dot one would get on
the cell, "letter B" and dots one and two and so on and so forth.

You could figure a way to keep it competitive and keep score for learners, a
penalty for not knowing your dot number needed to get on or off the cell for
example.

I believe this has potential to be a great, fun, active way to get learners
to correlate and remember dot numbers with each letter or contraction while
getting a sort of mental map, repetition that is not boring works wonders
for learning! It is also a great way for siblings and family and interested
others to learn.

Try it and tell me how it went!

Happy Braille to you!

Carrie Gilmer, President

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind

NFB National Center: 410-659-9314

Home Phone: 763-784-8590

carrie.gilmer at gmail.com

www.nfb.org/nopbc