[blindkid] Rehab: Top Ten Things You Need To Do: To Gain What You Need Effectively From Your VR Counselor

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 16:29:32 UTC 2009

Greetings All,

I was able to attend the NFB Colorado convention in November and heard the
most succinct presentation I have ever heard on getting what you need out of
rehab. It has been my intention all along to get it to parents, and much
more infromation on IPE's: Your Rights and Responsiblities. The recent list
posts moved it back up on the priority "to do" list. I waited to post this
list until I could get the permission of the author and also to give her the
recognition she is due. This top ten I am posting is from my notes only. The
author is Julia Zanon an excellent Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor with
the State of Colorado. Juila has graciously given her enthusiasm to me
sharing my notes, as well as offering her outlines and a willignness to
assist with building a library of lierature on this topic for our website.
The two primary things you will want to remember whatever state you are in:
YOU ARE MOVING FROM AN ENTITLEMENT PROGRAM (IEP) to a NON-entitlement
program. The focus changes from education and age appropriateness to
EMPLOYMENT, EMPLOYMENT, EMPLOYMENT. SO, if your child is not age appropriate
it needs to be conveyed as NOT READY FOR ADULT EMPLOYMENT-and what is needed
to get them ready? (As an example of moving from school language to rehab
jargon and language). We all have this to look forward to: once we finally
figure out the IDEA and the IEP process we get to figure out and must learn
rehab law and IPE's! Just as in the IEP, knwoing the law, yoru rights, and
responsibilities and being prepared ahead of time will GREATLY improve your
chances of success. IPE stands for: Individual Plan for EMPLOYMENT

TOP TEN THINGS YOU NEED TO DO TO GAIN WHAT YOU NEED FROM YOUR VOCATIONAL
REHABILITATION COUNSELOR

BY: Julia Zanon

10. Be authentic

9. Remember rehab counselor is a person and may make mistakes-your child
(soon no longer a child) should establish an adult relationship with the
counselor (remember counselor is NOT a parent, teacher or doctor)

8. Be coachable, teachable, listen and willing to take corrective criticism,
take risks, and try new ideas

7. Be responsible and prepared, follow through on any thing the counselor
asks you to do; bring all required paperwork

6. Remembering the FOCUS is on JOBS; make sure that you know what you need
to get employed, be able to articulate it

5. Know your disability and your tools and techniques that you need-to be
EMPLOYED

4. Know yourself, interests, values, dreams, goals

3. Bring any work history, volunteer experience or resume

2. Be prepared with your own research on anything you ask for in training,
tools, techniques (why is what you are asking needed and can't get it
anywhere else-why is it the best deal and the most cost effective)

1. Be honest about your skill level, abilities, talents and what is really
going on with you

Carrie Gilmer, President

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind

NFB National Center: 410-659-9314

Home Phone: 763-784-8590

carrie.gilmer at gmail.com

www.nfb.org/nopbc