[blindkid] Leaving classes early

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Jan 24 19:17:16 UTC 2009

Sally,

I think you are right to be concerned, and five minutes is certainly too long.  I just have to tell you a story.

I was out walking one evening several years ago when I met a guy who was an assistant principal at a middle school.
He was a very nice guy, well educated, and had the best of intentions as he described a blind student starting at his
school.  His way of helping the blind student was to tell all of the other kids not to talk or interact with the blind student
between classes because it would disrupt his concentration.  My look of horror must have taken him back because he
knew right away what I was thinking, but I pulledit together and we had a good talk.  The point is that you cannot count
on people being logical about these things, including O&M people, and you need to push for what you think is right.
Frankly, a kid that comes in a minute or two late is going to be seen as more cool by the other kids than one to leaves
early, but in time, without other disabilities, he should be able to make the necessary trip within the accepted time frames
in my opinion.  Some flexibility at first regarding his being late may not be out of line, but even that depends upon a lot of
factors.  He will never make it if it isn't expected.  There may be cases has have been outlined when extra equipment or
an extra stop to pick up something that others don't have to pick up where extra time might be needed, but this should
not be the assumption.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 07:38:23 -0600, Andy & Sally Thomas wrote:

>My son's O&M instructor has told him that next year in junior high he will be dismissed from classes 5 minutes early in
order to get a head start into the halls to make it to his next class. I'm wondering if most of the blind kids out there get
this "accommodation."  I personally think it is an opportunity to miss some afterthought the teacher has and to be singled
out and isolated in the classroom. Walking to classes with friends is one of the few times kids have for private
conversations.  Would you share your experiences with this?