[blindkid] Leaving classes early

SUSAN POLANSKY sepolansky at verizon.net
Sat Jan 24 22:08:55 UTC 2009

Last year in 6th grade Jason was allowed to leave his classes early but usually did not. The exception was getting from home base to 1st period which was from 2nd floor of one end of the building to 1st floor of the other end, a walk I had a problem doing in the 3 min they are allowed for class changes. This year he never leaves calls early and is expected to make it to the next class on time. Also last year he left class a couple of minutes early for lunch so he could be 1st in lunch line then his IA could go off for her lunch. this year we put a top to that, he leaves for lunch with the other students and works his way through the lunch line without the IA. We do have his locker on the end of a row and this year requested that his locker stay in the 6th grade hall rather than the 7th grade hall as that puts it closet to the work room where he goes in each morning to print. He is allowed to be late for home base if needed as he goes to the work room
 each AM to print, something the other students do not need to allow time for. He uses a lock that is shaped like a capsule that we bought at a Home Depot, I can't remember just what kind of lock it is. He has one for his hall locker and one for PE, all we had to do was tell the school the combination since it wasn't a school provided lock. I avoided the key lock based on my older son who could not keep track of a key at all in Middle School so I was not sure of Jason doing it either although he is more responsible at this age than his brother was. As for Social Skills this has always been included as a gaol on the IEP but as he gets older it puts the responsibility more onto Jason. He is to ask who is sitting next to him in each class and do so again when the seating is rotated, he is to ask who is at the lunch table, he is to interact with at least 1 to 2 students per each recess time after lunch, etc. His TVI and I spoke with all his
 teachers at the start of the year requesting that when they called on students in class that they use the students name rather than pointing at them so that Jason could learn who was in each class and attach names to the voices. I have not been in the school this year, deciding it was time to let Jason on his own, from what is IA  and TVI tell me socially he is doing better each year. Also he puts himself out into social situations knowing it is important for him to so so, he signs up for and attends the lunch time groups the school has about once a month, he goes to school dances, etc. He does not have much social contacts outside of school but we hope that improves as he gets older.
 Susan T. Polansky