[blindkid] Getting around school

Carlton Anne Cook Walker carltonwalker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 18:47:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

Just thought I'd weigh in on this one.  It' been a constant concern for me
with my daughter and will become even more of a concern in the future.

First, I heartily echo Carrie's comments.  IEPs ARE individualized to the
student for a reason.  There is no need for anyone to feel that they will be
criticized for having items in the IEP that are individualized to their
child.

That being said, it's also important to keep an open mind -- what may
have been necessary at one time might no loner be necessary.  And I believe
that we are the watch guards to ensure that our children's IEPs are tailored
to their needs -- not too much and not too little.

My daughter, Anna Catherine, is in our local elementary school and must use
the staircase 2-6 times per day.  At first, the school wanted her to use the
elevator instead.  We nixed it.

The school's elementary classes travel in packs, but Anna's IEP has a goal
that she will remain in the first one-third of the line without prompts 100%
of the time when moving from class to specials, lunch, etc.  Now, I'm sure
this doesn't happen all the time, but it serves as a message to the school
that we expect Anna Catherine to keep up with the class and to be in the
regular rotation for class "line leader," an honor she was not allowed
before (they just skipped over her).

Now, Anna Catherine does have orthopedic problems with her hips and will
likely be using a wheelchair at least part-time in high school (or maybe a
portion of middle school).  However, for now, she is expected to preform all
gross motor activities of her peers (and takes two dance classes per week).
We treat her pain but remember that she needs to meet the same physical
demands as do her classmates -- for as long as she can.

Regarding the issue of a great deal of equipment, when Anna Catherine's
equipment was actually working (it hasn't been for a while, we're having a
meeting on Friday), she used a rolling cart to carry it.  She did receive
help carrying it down the steps because she is quite small and none of her
peers would be expected to be able to manage the cart down the stairs.  I
don't know if an older student could manage the cart of equipment and the
cane down a set of stairs, but I imagine that many could, with practice.
Also, the rolling cart eases the burden on the student's back so that s/he
may walk comfortably upright.

Regarding more/heavier books, you're right, it's unfair.  In kindergarten,
Anna had an aide pack and unpack her book bag and carry it for her from and
to the parking lot.
But we have now determined that relieving Anna of the responsibility of
carrying her own book bag is not the answer.
Anna Catherine's book bag is heavier and bulkier than the book bag of any
other child in the school (including the fifth graders).
She must carry her braille reading book volume as well the print version
everyone else has to carry.  Her math materials are heavier, and the abacus
and tactile clock make her book bag even bulkier.  Also, she is smaller than
her classmates and has orthopedic problems.
But guess what?  She carries her own book bag at all times.  Period.
Is it unfair?  You bet.
Does she complain it?  You bet.
Are we changing it?  No.
She is *capable* of taking care of her own coat, book bag, etc.  That's the
bottom line for us.
Even though these tasks may be harder than what her peers are expected to
do, she can do the tasks.

Again, every parent must determine what is best for his/her own child in the
child's particular school setting.

Just a few thoughts . . .

Carlton

--