[blindkid] Packing Light

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 19:57:52 UTC 2009

I also thought it was brave of Kim to post. It shouldn't have to be that we
need to be brave to post a different experience or opinion. And we all need
to give each other room to proceed as we determine is best as parents and
learn and grow and process.

And Carol I am glad you also mentioned looking for ways to downsize.

I even had this with my sighed daughter this year, she felt she needed to
carry everything-I mean everything-just to be sure she had it. I recall one
woman we had in training at the center once she carried a full backpack AND
a rolling suitcase wherever she went (I mean she took the scanner and
everything!) and she was one of the slowest least organized people I had
seen go through training. Jordan sometimes has this tendency too- it is an
organizational and minimalist skill for some and for some a natural. Maya's
comment yesterday-"some of the kids, mom, only carry around a pencil! How do
they do it?", Well I think they don't but as is usual a happy medium is
best. I do recommend taking periodic reviews of consolidation and
determining what is needed everyday or as Carol suggested using one daily
folder or a couple and keeping large binders at home. Jordan usually only
takes his BrailleNote, his volume he needed for homework and tries to get
ahead days when the class will be on computer or have a lab, so he does not
carry his laptop everyday. He does however always carry a slate and stylus
and note cards. Lately for a few weeks he has been in a take it all in case
I need it some type of personal exploration (which included the KNFB
reader), but he still gets to class on time etc. He has always had two
instruments since high school (maybe even sometime in middle school-can't
recall exactly), one in the band room and one at home since he plays a
larger one (trombone)-but sometimes he has to take his instrument too for
one reason or another. He has monocular and prescription magnifying glasses
in a waist pouch, where he also carries his slate and notecards.

Carrie Gilmer, President

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind

NFB National Center: 410-659-9314

Home Phone: 763-784-8590

carrie.gilmer at gmail.com

www.nfb.org/nopbc