[blindkid] Playground strategies for low-vision 5 yr. old

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Sun Jan 25 23:21:49 UTC 2009

Hi Sarah,
     I too have twins.  You would never know it.  One is blind and one has a
shunt, so different issues.  Both are so different.  The sighted child,
Brandon will stick like glue to his sibling, Vinnie who is blind and would
prefer to make his own way.  As far as interacting on the playground, I just
let my child with no sight figure out where things are and how to do it.  At
first he just hates it because it is new.  I keep reintroducing it in small
doses and finally, he is desensitized.  However, I do this with support in
small doses.  I have found that when my Vinnie is distressed, to keep
presenting things in small doses and eventually, he gets it.  I on the other
hand, hover and provide that safety net in terms of falling etc., with much
hand wringing.  I have the market on hand wringing, as we have already
raised a set of twins, one with no arms and one, as normal as they get
(not).  The child with no arms used to climb 20 foot trees and send his
brother to have Mom come and see!  Independence is key.
     You are headed in the right direction and it sounds like you have
already implemented some strategies that will help.  Let you child be your
guide!
Blessings,
Sue H.