[blindkid] Thanks to All

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 15:04:59 UTC 2009

Hello All,

We have been deeply touched by the outpouring of congratulations from you
all. Thank you so much. Many of you likely saw my post the other day which
mentioned all the accommodations in Jordan's second grade IEP, and know of
our story with the total all-out war to get anything non-visual for him. I
am convinced his story would be ending much differently as he graduated had
we not found the NFB and I a total burn-out if not for the ongoing support
and advice of other parents and NFB members-so you all have played a part in
this success. And I am forever grateful. Our NOPBC mission is to create a
climate of opportunity for our kids individually to meet their own
potentials and I can certainly say "Mission Accomplished" for real with my
son in k-12. It will be up to him, and it has been-after all the opportunity
was only created, he had to do the hard work of taking that opportunity and
realizing it. This he has done, and now with the next door of possibility
toward his dream open, it will be up to him to realize it. But I know the
empowerment of his friends and allies in the NFB will continually be a big
part of that realization.

What I want to say to all is-we are all at risk of burn-out! The road is
long and the climb fraught with obstacles. When we have victories it helps
to share them with each other-hope is a powerful thing. SO, whether it is, "
My child zipped their jacket for the first time today!" Or got 100% on a
spelling test, or improved their reading speed, or finished a whole chapter
book for the first time, or made a peanut butter sandwich independently, or
has progressed from double spaced Braille to single spaced or learned all
the contractions or crossed the street alone for the first time-or something
humorous or you got someone on your team to understand and be in your
corner--WHAT EVER, Please do not feel it is too insignificant to share or
has to be comparative to anyone else's victory. BRAG! SHARE!

We need the good news!

Carrie Gilmer, President

A Division of the National Federation of the Blind

NFB National Center: 410-659-9314

Home Phone: 763-784-8590

carrie.gilmer at gmail.com

www.nfb.org/nopbc