[blindkid] ADD

Shayla Lovett shayla_lovett at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 14:05:14 UTC 2009

Hey Debby,  One thing that helped me when we were faced with this predicament for Rylee is to keep in mind that you are not making decisions that are unchangeable.  If you decide to try some sort of medication to help her, it will be in her system only 24 hours.  You try it a few days and if you do not like it then discontinue.  It will do no more long term than would you having a glass of wine.   And if the meds work it is night and day and it is very apparent that this is a problem.  The meds do not work on kids who do not need them.

I was always very much against medicating kids;  until I had one that really needs a little extra help.   On medication Rylee is much less frustrated and seems to have a less stressed existence.  I sometimes worry about the long term effects but for now the benefits to improving her daily quality of life outweigh the risks, for us.

Just try to keep in mind that you are not making a life or death decision here and it is one that can be reversed at any time for any reason.

good luck...shayla