[blindkid] summer activites

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Mon Jun 1 12:45:47 UTC 2009

Hi Susan,

Welcome to the list.  We're very glad that you've found our information useful!

Some ideas for things to do--

         * Hiking--I know you can't do this every
day, but our daughter used to enjoy it very much
and it was a calming experience for
everyone.           Also has many learning
possibilities--leaves, twigs, bugs, sounds, smells, feels, etc.

         *  Maybe Sydney would enjoy making
things?  Coloring screens, Wikki Stix, play doh?

         *  We bought a bunch of "realistic" play
items such as a toaster over that make a sizzling
sound, play eggs that you could open
and        there were "fried eggs" inside--Serena
would serve them to us, play pizza, etc.

         *  We bought a water mill type thing--I
think it was really meant to be a beach toy, but
it was fun to fill the buckets, tip them, etc.

         *  Maybe a play school?  We made ours
into Serena's preschool--named all the rooms, the
little people, etc., after the ones in her         school.

         *  Serena used to enjoy a large
cardboard box--big enough for her to climb
into.  It could be a pretend sofa, bathtub, refrigerator, etc.

         *  On nice days, we'd make an obstacle
course in the backyard and invite other kids over
to play in it, too.  Was very good for            movement development.

         *  Maybe Sydney would enjoy sound
games--putting different sized plastic containers
up to her ears (shell effect) or her
mouth.    Or      dropping things into containers
made of different materials--plastic, metal, glass?

         *  Some things that Lilli Nielsen
suggests--old pocketbooks with lots of zippers
and compartments, popbead necklaces,
vibrating            toothbrush.  Play on top of
a large raised board for extra sound feedback.

Hope these help.

Carol

Carol Castellano, President
973-377-0976