[blindkid] Missed Flight

Barbara.Mathews at sce.com Barbara.Mathews at sce.com
Sun Jun 14 18:52:56 UTC 2009

      Kim,
      From the perspective of a parent of a blind and a sighted teen, I
think what happened to your daughter has little if anything to do with her
blindness.  I can imagine my sighted daughter assuming she would hear an
announcement and getting engrossed in reading a book, especially if she was
sitting a little way apart from other passengers, and missing the flight.
I think the airline had an extra responsibility to all passengers to alert
them that  the flight was boarding if the PA system wasn't working.  After
all, they have the PA system for a reason.  But passengers have a
responsibility to keep track of the time, too.

      It worries me as an airline passenger that someone can check luggage
(which I assume your daughter did since she would be away for 8 weeks) and
not board the second leg of a flight.  What I would pursue is the airline's
policy on that.  Not too long after 9/11, I can remember waiting after
boarding a flight because a passenger couldn't be located, and we were told
the plane couldn't take off without the passenger associated with a checked
bag.

      -Barbara

             Kim Cunningham
             <kim at gulfimagesph
             oto.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  " \(for parents of blind children
             blindkid-bounces@         \)NFBnet Blind Kid Mailing List"
             nfbnet.org                <blindkid at nfbnet.org>
                                                                        cc

             06/14/2009 06:06                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [blindkid] Missed Flight

             Please respond to
             "NFBnet Blind Kid
               Mailing List,
             \(for parents of
             blind children\)"
             <blindkid at nfbnet.
                   org>

Thank you all for your feedback on this situation. I knew that I could
count on my NFB friends to put this into perspective. Of course, I much
more relaxed now knowing the girls are safe and sound at CCB this morning
and can reflect a little clearer. I am a little confused though about a
couple of things concerning the difference between transportation to the
gate on the cart and a pre-board pass. My daughter doesn't want or need
cart transportation. With this said, if a blind person refuses cart
service, then is the airline free of the responsibility for making sure
that the person gets on the flight? Does the passenger then take their
travel into their own hands?  That makes sense, but then if the person gets
a pre-board pass, is the airline also has free from responsibility for this
scenario also?  When my husband and I were at the airport yesterday, we
heard a passenger's name being called over the intercom, and was told that
his flight was
 about to depart. Why was this gentleman given the courtesy? Plus, with all
the tight security at aiports, how can a person check in at the ticket
counter, then check in at the gate counter, and then disappear on their
roster of people to board the plane? Wouldn't some kind of flags show up
for any passenger?
I realize that we need to work more on independent airline travel and
we will put our heads together to figure out how to not let this happen
again. Some airlines are going to be easier than others. With assigned
seats, Kayleigh should find this much easier than flying on airlines such
as Southwest that corrals the people around numbered areas. This will be a
very difficult task for her to locate an area within crowds of people. I
would love to hear how everyone handles this type of arrangement. You all
are right that I should calm down and use this as a learning experience.
Kayleigh will be traveling more this summer - flying to Detroit and also
Baltimore. She will be with the CCB group and should be able to get expert
advice from them.
Thank you all again for your advice.
Kim Cunningham