[blindkid] school placement told if I want an aid have to go aspecial school

Andy & Sally Thomas andysally at comcast.net
Thu Jun 25 02:26:48 UTC 2009

The child does not move based on the program.  The child's home school is
the school of first choice.  You may need some help to convince the school
that they must follow the law.  It's difficult to give a complete answer
without knowing all the facts.

Right now many of the people on this list with vast knowledge in the law are
headed to the NFB national convention and they may not have time to respond
to your email.  My suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with the law
on placement.  WWW.wrightslaw.com is a good place to start.  Here's a
placement specific link: http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/?p=394 .

I've found that showing the school district that you know the law and aren't
backing down can be quite helpful.  That said, you may not be able to solve
this on your own.  If you can hire an advocate or get some other help,
depending on your situation, you may get the problem solved faster.

Best of luck.

Sally Thomas