[blindkid] school placement told if I want an aid have to go a special school

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 05:25:08 UTC 2009

Lauren,
Have you had an IEP meeting yet? That meeting is the place where the IEP
TEAM, including the parents, have to decide on placement and services--which
school, how much time with an aide, and so on.

Don't go on what one person tells you--who said it, do they have the
authority to say it, do they know what they are talking about? We have had
people tell us crazy things like, "I don't think your child in that class
would be best for the other kids," and "My blind friend tells me that
Braille is on the way out." Use the education talk of "Free and appropriate
public education" in the "Least restrictive environment."

I ditto the advice to get it in writing.

Joy Orton