[blindkid] school placement told if I want an aid have to go a special school

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Jun 26 17:47:18 UTC 2009

Joy's posting made me realize that I assumed you had already been to
your IEP meeting and this was somehow the result. (Even if you have,
you can always call for another one if you feel what they came up with
was not appropriate for your child but it may me slightly more
complicated if you have already signed and agreed to a particular
placement for next year.)

If you haven't done an IEP yet, that's where they will HAVE to offer
their recommendations in writing one way or another (or more
accurately they put in writing what they are offering), but they may
not offer the reason why, or at least the reason that was apparently
already expressed to you (verbally) in writing on the IEP forms.

Be aware that you do NOT have to sign and agree to what they offer and
you can (if need be) reschedule a future IEP to resolve possible
differences instead of agreeing to what they want at this time, again
if it is not appropriate for your child. There are additional
processes as well to resolve disputes but hopefully they will not be
required.

I should mention that our daughter, now age 6 is changing schools
because she has now outgrown the public pre-school in our area that
goes only through kindergarten.

We had a STRONG impression (from a variety of discussions with people
who work in our school system) that they were going to try and "make"
us send her to the the school in our area where the vision resource
room is and where most of the blind and low vision kids generally go.
We did not feel this was the most appropriate placement for a number
of reasons.

We had a giant IEP meeting. A dozen or so of us met for something over
four hours as I recall. It was sometimes stressful and tense but
ultimately they offered exactly what we were hoping for. I know it is
not always so "easy" (a relative term but we did make this happen with
just that one long meeting) but I do want you to know that it is true
that sometimes people who work for the schools say things are one way
but when you get to the IEP it goes better than expected. I hope this
is the case for your situation.

Again, good luck with it all-- I know you are probably very stressed
out but it can all be resolved.

Richard