[blindkid] can I get the other side?

Leah leah at somazen.com
Sun Mar 1 17:45:37 UTC 2009

I certainly got some meaty answers to my questions!

Joe, thank you for your story. I'm not dead set on learning Braille by
touch, but there are two reasons I am experimenting lightly with it:
1. I have a little eye problem myself, and I wonder if I was someday
able to read by touch, if I could save some function. I use my eyes to
compensate for a damaged balance mechanism and it can be overly
demanding on the eyes.
2. I am still curious at the belief of some who say Braille cannot be
learned by those with some vision (unfortunately they are our local
professionals). So I feel the letters just watching my learning
process, to see if something really does come up that prevents me from
identifying by touch. I'm going to keep doing this a little longer,
because I can only identify some letters and no words.

But, I will try to remember what you say and will give myself
permission to read it visually to get the job done if need be!

Carrie, thank you. I especially liked what you said about
stigmatization affecting people's ability to deal with accommodating
their own disability. And I thought what you said about being forceful
was very bold! I had not thought about it in degrees. You certainly
reclaim the word force as a positive thing!

And Steve, I really appreciate practical examples because that is how
I best learn. In fact, I would like to ask if you would mind if I
quoted your examples anonymously if I write an article about extremism
on my blog. I will totally understand if you decline and I am still
grateful for what you wrote.

Leah