[blindkid] Seeking National Science Olympiad Advice

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 3 00:21:48 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

Vejas participated as part of his Middle School Team in our regional Science
Olympiad

http://soinc.org/short_event_descriptions#write.

He did the trajectory with his friend & they did well. He & his team are
moving on to the State Finals in April :-)

My question is that most of the events seem pretty visually oriented & not
particularly accessible, at least from what I raed on them.

I did not have a chance to actually see most of the events as they were
scattered around the university campus.

Have any of you kids or students participated in the Science Olympiad & if
so do you have any pearls of advice?

Is there another event that you might suggest as well that would be
accessible to a blind studnet?

As a side note, we discovered a new creative use for the NFB cane. When we
got there, it turns out that to launch the catapult, the participants' whole
body had to be behind the boxed off area. Since their catapult, like a
number of others, had a side release that presented a bit of a problem. On
the spot creative solution: as the launching pin was attached to a string,
they tied that to the end of Vejas long white cane. Fortunately the cane was
long enough that he could knee behind the boxed off area & then snap his
cane to the right, pulling out the pin -> they hit the targets on each of
the allotted 4 tries :-)

I look forward to any insights you may have to offer.

Thanks in advance,

Eric V