[blindkid] Seeking National Science Olympiad Advice

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 03:13:57 UTC 2009

Hey Eric,
Congratulations to Vejas! I love the new use for the cane too!
One never knows...huge grin.

Jordan was in Science Olympiad his sophomore and junior years. He did
geology-rocks and minerals. This I believe he downloaded info and studied
online and also he practiced a lot identifying samples at school. Mostly he
had to have a lot of head knowledge. Planning ahead and requesting some
things be Brailled. Sighted assistance if needed for color identification,
he had superior touch identification and the scratch test.

He also did the airplane/flight one. There you have to build your own
airplane-very hands on and detail in tactile skills. It was from a specific
kit of basic materials (the same for everyone)and had to be very very to the
letter on what you could and could not use. Directions on "how-to" can be
brailled, some sighted assistance in some diagramed instructions read. Again
it was mostly head knowledge and skill in the building and determining
aerodynamics and weight.

The third category was electronic circuits. There a talking volt meter I
think...same thing though. But Curtis Willouby spent a couple hours talking
to him once for advice. He had tactile real circuits to work with from the
electronics dept. at school-got electronics book to study in Braille. Again
it was mostly head knowledge. You can tell them far in advance too, right
away if you have the science teacher  contact about anything the competition
date that needs to be brailled or allow a reader--they will work with you we
found.

A lot of what he did I do not know too so I will ask him. Also I think he
was part of a team for something else but can't recall what. He did not do
so hot in any of the competitions-his particular science teacher was very
laid back too-he was not about winning he was about the kids doing it
themselves. And Jordan TOTALLY did. It was a great lesson on preparation,
time management and study skills and research way beyond anything about
science. He also just really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun. This year he
decided to be a reporter/photographer on the school newspaper staff instead.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc