[blindkid] Braille reading speed-Good News and Bad News

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 9 23:22:01 UTC 2009

There are such standards for print broken down by grade level & some even
distinguish between oral & silent reading rates.
Many school districts, such as ours, have their own district benchmarks.
The problem multi-fold, in that kids/families are not encouraged to start
braille immersion until the kids hit school (if even then - can you imagine
what would happen to print reading rates if sighted kids were not exposed to
print until elementary school?) & to many (perhaps even most) TVI educators
don't believe that braille can be read at the same speed as print - so with
lower expectations & delayed introduction of braille, this ends up being a
self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.
Braille Reading Rate Fluency is rarely addressed at TVI conferences.
It would be fun & potentially fruitful to pull together a panel of national
experts & put them in a room with some of our kids & adults who do in fact
read fluently to see if real life proof might change their perceptions of
what is possible.
Eric V