[blindkid] ideas for increasing braille reading speed

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 13:27:28 UTC 2009

Golden oldies but goodies-smile.
Also it helped enormously for my son to have the book on tape (now digital
or cd) and read the hardcopy Braille trying to keep up with the tape. He did
not know what fluency "felt like" in light touch or cadence--this is close
to Carol's #1 and hers is a good way to check how your child is doing and
makes it a fun partnership, but this with tape can provide more opportunity
when an adult can't be there. I would also have my son make it like a "race"
to keep up--NOT WORRYING at first about getting every word, but seeing how
many he could recognize that fast. It was THE thing that broke him of bad
habits of repeating phrases and words and scrubbing.

Also in this (March 2009) Braille Monitor is an excellent article again by
Jerry Whittle--and names again from him reading speeds he has documented
over the decades he has taught.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc