[blindkid] Putting pressure on the school district

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 16:53:20 UTC 2009

Carrie,
I am a full believer that there is nothing more powerful than mobilizing the
Moms (dads too! I just usually see more moms::smile:::)  Even though being
"just" a mom is powerful on it's own, I've found a lot of moms who also have
some pretty impressive backgrounds and are very generous about sharing their
expertise.
The internet is a wonderful thing.  Aside from being able to collect
information, it allows us to network with and support other parents we never
would have met otherwise.  I hope after I have Hank's situation straightened
out, I'll be able to return the favor and be a suporter rather than a
suportee.

As I"m gathering doccuments together and reading more indepth about proper
procedures, I'm seeing more and more technical mistakes made by the
district.
I hope this will not have to go to due process but I becoming more and more
confident they won't have a leg to stand on if it does.  Hopefully they will
realize that as well!!!

To anyone reading this, I can not stress enough how important doccumenting
every minute detail is.  And keeping that doccumentation organized!!!  I am
not a "born organized" person so this is a stretch for me. I've spent the
last few days trying to pull together papers scattered all over my office &
hard drive.  I'm putting it all together in a big binder. A section for
reports/evaluations, one for emails/letters (printed out & put in
chronological order), one for studies & research supporting my position and
another for sample doccuments like well written IEPs, what a comprehensive
LMA should look like etc.
I know I'm missing things but what I have pulled together is pretty
formidible.  While I was drawn to the hot pink swirly binder, I opted for
the more stark, professional grey/black one.

One thing I found just this morning that I had completely forgotten
happened (and am quite giddy about discovering) is an email from August to
the special services director specifically saying I wanted to pursue Braille
instruction for Hank and to please start whatever process and/or evalutions
were needed to make that happen.  I knew there had been many verbal
discussions about it.  I knew I *should* have put it in writing a long time
ago but I had completely forgotten that I did.  Frankly, in my own mind I
thought the first time I specifically said "time to do this" was at an IEP
meeting in October.   The director did respond to the email so it can't be
denied that she got it (her reply was along the lines of she'd look into
it)  Aside from the fact they are out of compliance for not automatically
considering Braille, I now have proof the clock started ticking 7 months
ago.

Below is the follow up letter I sent yesterday.  It was just to doccument
what transpired, I am not introducing any new informaton with it.

Holly

Dear Dr. M,

 This letter is to memorialize our phone conversation from yesterday.

You informed me that the tentative IEP date for Hank’s annual IEP meeting is
now March 26th 2009 at 1pm (rescheduled from 3/3/09 due to weather delayed
opening).

You informed me that on March 19th, 2009, Ms. S TVI is to meet with Hank and
his teachers at xxx to discuss scheduling of Braille instruction.  You
advised me Hank is being scheduled for “pre-Braille” instruction one class
period (45 minutes) per week per Ms. S recommendation.

You also informed me that Ms. S has ordered a Franklin Talking Dictionary
and a Victor audio book player for Hank’s use and she will review the
3rdgrade textbooks to see if enlargement is needed.
I asked if any Braille writing equipment had been ordered and you explained
you were not provided with information as to what (or if any) Braille
writing equipment had been ordered.

I informed you that I do not believe Braille instruction of 45 minute
duration only once a week is appropriate for Hank.  Hank needs to receive
Braille instruction in the exact same proportion that his fully sighted
peers receive in print reading and writing.  I believe the negligible
Braille instruction recommended by Ms. S will not provide Hank with the
appropriate Braille skills to become fully literate.

Within this conversation you stated you had asked Ms. S about Orientation
and Mobility services.  You stated Ms. S advised you an O&M evaluation had
already been completed and Hank does not qualify for O&M training.  I
informed you that I do not believe the evaluation was thorough and does not
accurately reflect Hank’s lack of independence in unfamiliar surroundings.

You stated the district must follow Ms. S recommendations and COB protocol
as they have expertise in these matters and you do not.  You further stated
you would need to speak with Ms. D about how to proceed and we might need
another meeting aside from the scheduled IEP review meeting for March 26th,
2009.

In any event, it is my understanding that frequency of Braille instruction
and other related vision services are an IEP team decision.  I am confused
as to why Ms. S is arbitrarily making the decisions regarding what is
F.A.P.E for Hank.  Please advise at your earliest convenience as to
assembling Hank’s IEP team so we can determine how Braille instruction and
related services will be appropriately structured.

Please place a copy of this letter in Hank’s permanent file.

Sincerely

Holly Miller