[blindkid] Pressure on the school

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 13:37:00 UTC 2009

Hi Eileen!
We are in Oceanport, eastern side of Monmouth County.
It's a teeny tiny district.  One elementary school, one middle
school.  Roughly 80 kids per grade.
For HS the kids go to a 4 town regional HS.

 I'm sure the problem is that they have virtually no experience with more
complex SNs of any type.
Back in the summer I had chatted with the principal.  She's worked for the
district in various roles for over 20 years.  She told me they never had a
student that used Braille in all that time.  They are well versed in
Autisim, ADHD, Auditory Processing issues.  They know what to do with that.
 Our older son has Aspergers and they have done a fabulous job meeting his
needs since day one.  His IEP meetings have always been all smiles & nods.
I never had to ask for anything, they offered the right things right up
front. This is part of what is so frustrating.  Because we are a small
district, I'm dealing with the same people for both kids.  One kid they are
getting it perfectly right, the other kid they are getting it so very very
wrong....  Also I guess it's lulled me into a false sense of security.  That
if I explain things to them the right way, they will do the right thing
because they are reasonable people (ok, stop laughing!!!)

Not an excuse, not by a long shot.  If I can find all this stuff on the
internet, so can they.  I've already spoon fed them quite a bit of info.
They know me from 9 years of our other son.  They know I take the time to
educate myself on the issues involved.  They know I'm not a PITA, hysterical
mom who makes pie in the sky demands.  I got *very* offended when the
caseworker said the other day "You can't know this isn't going to work" (re
45 min once a week)
Excuse me.  Just because you haven't bothered to educate yourself on the
subject, don't you dare assume I haven't.

Nothing more dangerous than a mad mom...

Holly