[blindkid] niceness and meanness

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:22:19 UTC 2009

Not sure what you are trying to say Eric. This seems kind of off point to me
in the thread. We were talking about how sometimes when advocating strongly,
parents, especially those who have strong concerns about being "nice" and
all getting along, feel like they are "mean". In reality I was pointing out
they are not "mean". Like is a lawyer "mean" to (civilly) argue the side of
his client? And strongly? And to say the other side is wrong based on the
evidence? That is more like what I was talking about.

Without trying to actually define "mean" here, taking a common
understanding...
It has been rare that I have heard of a teacher actually being truly mean to
a student, but it happens no doubt. This should be reported in writing to
superiors and human resources in the district as a formal complaint
immediately.

Sometimes professionals are truly "mean" to parents in IEP meetings.
Sometimes I have seen parents be rude and nasty and unreasonable too.

If things are that bad, even medium that bad on either or both sides
mediation is most certainly the next and immediate step, IMO.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc